With students returning to campus and football season kicking off this week, investigative journalist Jessica Luther’s book Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape, is arriving at a pivotal moment.
- What Bresha Meadows, Arrested for Shooting Her Father After Reported Abuse, Faces Next
- From Protected Class to High-Priority Target: How the ‘System Is Rigged’ Against Unaccompanied Migrant Children
- It’s Not Just Trump: The Right Wing’s Increasing Reliance on Violence and Intimidation as a Path to Power
- Jessica Luther Offers NCAA a New Playbook for ‘Unsportsmanlike Conduct’ in Debut Book
- Milwaukee Officials: Black Youth, Single Mothers Are Not Responsible for Systemic Failings—You Are
- Mothers in Family Detention Launch Hunger Strike: ‘We Will Get Out Alive or Dead’
From Protected Class to High-Priority Target: How the ‘System Is Rigged’ Against Unaccompanied Migrant Children
Vulnerable, undocumented youth who pose no real threat are being stripped of their right to an education and instead sit in detention awaiting deportation.
“We wanted to make sure that we updated ... laws to kind of reflect a changing world and to make sure that we actually protect the doctors who provide these important services to women,” California Assemblymember Jimmy Gomez said, adding that his legislation would also protect patient safety and access to abortion.
Threats of violence toward women are commonplace on the internet for the same reason that they are increasingly common at Donald Trump rallies: They are effective at perpetuating violence against women as the norm.
Hillary Clinton may be wooing Republicans alienated by Trump, but she's also laying out economic policies that could shore up her progressive base. Meanwhile, Trump's comments about "Second Amendment people" stopping Hillary Clinton judicial appointments were roundly condemned.
Today, women are able to access emergency contraception, a safe, second-chance option for preventing unintended pregnancy in a timely manner without a prescription. Clinton helped make this happen, and I can tell the story from having watched it unfold.