ICE has not stated publicly whether the arrests of teens under Operation Border Guardian will continue, but there is anecdotal evidence suggesting the operation has caused considerable damage in the communities of those placed into detention, noticeable by teachers and students alike.
- The Promotion of Long-Acting Contraceptives Must Confront History and Center Patient Autonomy
- Milwaukee Officials: Black Youth, Single Mothers Are Not Responsible for Systemic Failings—You Are
- From Protected Class to High-Priority Target: How the ‘System Is Rigged’ Against Unaccompanied Migrant Children
- Black Trans Liberation Tuesday Must Become an Annual Observance
- ‘Why Couldn’t Wildin Graduate?’: The Legacy of a U.S. Immigration Program Targeting Teens
- Campaign Week in Review: Tim Kaine Outlines Plan to ‘Make Housing Fair’
Latino Votes Count or ‘Why Would They Be Trying to Suppress Them?’: Dolores Huerta on What’s at Stake in 2016
“We know that we’ve had this problem that Latinos sometimes don’t vote—they feel intimidated, they feel like maybe their vote doesn’t matter,” Huerta told Rewire. Huerta encouraged people to consider both what is at stake and why their vote might be suppressed in the first place.
While some long-acting reversible contraceptive methods were used to undermine women of color's reproductive freedom, those methods still hold the promise of reducing unintended pregnancy among those most at risk.
The wholesale murder of Black men and women by police strikes with a kind of caprice, often driven more by whims, bigotries, and disordered fates than any sense in law enforcement or anything meaningfully tied to the actions of the victims.
"There are systems in place that are attacking our communities," explained Tara Tee of Hands Up United. "A lot of the things we’re doing is just rebuilding and creating plans to sustain, so that whatever this gap is doesn’t occur again.
An order issued this week should restore the voting rights to about 13,000 formerly incarcerated people ahead of the November presidential election.