Tillerson faced markedly tough questions on the intertwined issues from Democrats and one Republican, Sen. Marco Rubio (FL).
- Trans Man Denied Surgery at Catholic Hospital Lives in ‘Constant Fear’
- Senate GOP Gives Sessions’ Record a Pass in Confirmation Hearing
- Tillerson Waffles on Reproductive Rights, Climate Change, Russia
- A History of the Rise of Anti-Trans Legislation in the United States
- The Coming Congressional Onslaught Against Reproductive Rights
- North Carolina Republicans Refuse to Repeal ‘State-Sanctioned Discrimination’
A Democratic congressional aide told Rewire that Republicans are "really playing with fire" if they launch attacks on funding for Planned Parenthood and dismantle the Affordable Care Act, leaving tens of millions without access to care.
"I'm disappointed for the people of North Carolina—the jobs that they may not get,” Governor-elect Roy Cooper said. “I'm disappointed that we haven't yet removed the stain from our reputation around the country and around the world."
Forbidden: Undocumented and Queer in Rural America is about Serrano coming of age and to terms with his multiple identities as a gay, undocumented Mexican immigrant who grew up in Yadkin County, a rural farming community in North Carolina.
Charter School’s Refusal to Admit Trans Student Forecasts Possible Future Under Trump Administration
According to the ACLU's complaint, 15-year-old Nicole Velazquez had been admitted to the school prior to transitioning, but initially chose to attend a different one. When she reapplied, post-transition, she was denied admission and told she would be placed on a waiting list for an open spot.
“Part of what Carafem wanted to do was to speak openly and unapologetically about abortion in the same way that other providers speak about their services,” said Melissa Grant, Carafem's vice president of health-care services. “This feels like a First Amendment issue .... It feels wrong.”