Considering the disastrous effects driver's license checkpoints can have for undocumented immigrants—and the recent moves on immigration by the Trump administration—Durham resident Brian Callaway told Rewire the checkpoint was cause for concern.
Trending Law and Policy
- Trump’s ‘Smart and Strategic’ Immigration Approach: Everyone Is Deportable
- Flint Residents’ Choice: ‘Pay for Your Poison’ or Have Water Shut Off
- After 12 Years of Uncertainty, Salvadoran Woman Imprisoned After a Miscarriage Is Free
- Surprise: South Dakota Republicans Reject Abortion Ban
- Amid Constituent Backlash, GOP to Punt Repeal of Popular Obamacare Benefits to Agency
- Sessions Wastes No Time Attacking LGBTQ Rights
Reproductive rights advocates told Rewire that South Dakota lawmakers were likely deterred by the prospect of expensive litigation.
Pro-choice activists called and emailed Democratic Party delegates prior to the nominating convention, voicing concern with anti-choice candidate Dennis McKinney, regarded as a favorite among the party establishment.
North Carolina Governor and Attorney General Take Steps to Withdraw From Voting Restrictions Lawsuit
“It’s time for North Carolina to stop fighting for this unfair, unconstitutional law and work instead to improve equal access for voters," said Gov. Roy Cooper.
Anti-choice legislators in Montana are pushing a measure targeting the fetal viability standard enshrined in decades of legal precedent.
Such discriminatory action was not unexpected with Attorney General Jeff Sessions, known for his fierce opposition to LGBTQ rights, at the helm.