The Congressional Budget Office projected that by 2026, the number of uninsured people younger than 65 will reach 51 million—"compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law."
Trending Human Rights
- New York Forces Women Like Me to Carry Nonviable Pregnancies to Term
- What the Media Misses When It Sees Appalachia as Just ‘Trump Country’
- Wyoming to Lose Its Only Planned Parenthood Clinic
- The ‘Trans Tax’: A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Leaving My House
- New Forecast Details Vast Human Cost of GOP Health-Care Plan
- What My Miscarriage Taught Me About Texas’ Fetal Burial Legislation
The president's 2018 budget proposal recommends the gutting of Medicaid and other public assistance programs while cutting all funding for Planned Parenthood.
Opal Tometi, co-founder of Black Lives Matter, called on the administration to "alter its perception of black immigrants as criminals and instead implement long term programs that allow immigrant families to live and thrive in the United States.”
"These laws put pregnant women in a double bind, forcing them to choose between risking their health and risking punishment," said Carrie Eisert of Amnesty International.
About 100 Notre Dame graduates on Sunday walked out of Vice President Mike Pence's commencement address, protesting the Trump administration's anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant agenda.
The actions taken by Iowa Republicans are reminiscent of steps taken by Texas lawmakers in 2011, and the impact appears to have had a similar effect.