Two city council members have proposed an alternative plan that claims to offer workers the same benefits while lowering the payroll tax employers will have to pay.
Trending Human Rights
- No One in the Porn Industry Likes a Broken Vagina
- Trump’s ‘Smart and Strategic’ Immigration Approach: Everyone Is Deportable
- Flint Residents’ Choice: ‘Pay for Your Poison’ or Have Water Shut Off
- Sessions Wastes No Time Attacking LGBTQ Rights
- After 12 Years of Uncertainty, Salvadoran Woman Imprisoned After a Miscarriage Is Free
- South Dakota Lawmaker Defends Bill by Saying Some Aborted Fetuses are Female
Such discriminatory action was not unexpected with Attorney General Jeff Sessions, known for his fierce opposition to LGBTQ rights, at the helm.
In this environment, mass detainment—particularly of groups previously protected from deportation, including mothers, vulnerable transgender domestic violence survivors, and DACA recipients—becomes justifiable.
“This bill intrudes on the doctor-patient relationship by requiring doctors to become investigators and patients their suspects, and it does nothing to address the root causes of gender discrimination and bias,” said Ashley Wright, public policy manager for Planned Parenthood Great Plains.
The long-term implications of the election of Donald Trump as president and the inexorable corporate-driven greed of the Dakota Access pipeline have left me feeling vulnerable and in need of solace.
"The reality is that defunding us only hurts people—especially the people who are already the most vulnerable," said Tayler Tucker of Planned Parenthood of Arizona. "It's still too revolutionary of an idea for a woman to own her own body."