Although the Zika virus can be sexually transmitted, Republicans have sought contraception restrictions that Democrats have charged could disproportionately impact women in Puerto Rico.
Trending Family Planning
- Contraception Access ‘Isn’t Really An Issue,’ Says McConnell Spokesperson
- The Crackdown on L.A.’s Fake Clinics Is Working
- Filmmaker Tracy Droz Tragos Centers Abortion Stories in New Documentary
- The Double Standard of Military Pregnancy: What Contraceptive Access Won’t Fix
- Anti-Choice Group Files Lawsuit Over Newly Signed Law That Protects Illinois Patients
- Zika Response ‘Sits Squarely With Congress’ After Administration’s Last-Ditch Effort
“This law would have been especially burdensome to communities of color and people with low income who already often have the least access to care—this law would have made a bad situation worse,” said Iris E. Harvey, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio.
“Healthy Texas Women funding should be going directly to medical providers who have experience providing family planning and preventive care services, not anti-abortion organizations that have never provided those services," Heather Busby, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, said in a statement.
The policy, which is an amendment to the Illinois Health Care Right of Conscience Act, requires physicians and medical facilities to to provide patients upon request with information about their medical circumstances and treatment options consistent with "current standards of medical care," in cases where the doctor or institution won’t offer services on religious grounds.
Indiana House Democratic Leader Scott Pelath said Pence’s sweeping anti-choice law, which includes banning pregnant people from terminating a pregnancy due to fetal anomalies or the sex or race of a fetus, drew the ire of even those who typically oppose legal abortion.
Every month, CREDO Mobile, the country's only progressive phone company, allocates $150,000 to be given away to three nonprofit groups. How much of the donation each group gets depends on the number of votes they receive. And we are asking you to take a moment to vote for Rewire.