So far this year, legislators have introduced 1,256 provisions relating to sexual and reproductive health and rights. However, states have also enacted 22 measures this year designed to expand access to reproductive health services or protect reproductive rights.
Trending Family Planning
- Study: Politicians Dominate Nightly News Reports on Birth Control
- Lawsuit Challenges Arizona’s Attempt to Defund Planned Parenthood
- Congress Fails to Act on Zika Before Seven-Week Recess
- Legislators Have Introduced 445 Provisions to Restrict Abortion So Far This Year
- House GOP Votes Against D.C. Reproductive Health Bill
- It’s Time for an Abortion Renaissance
In both Virginia and Missouri, efforts are underway to end practices of jailing people over outstanding court fees.
Study co-author Michelle H. Moniz, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Michigan, noted that news segments largely framed contraception as a political issue, rather than a matter of public health.
Tuesday’s ruling reverses the lower court decision that had originally allowed Gov. Gary Herbert to block funding to the Planned Parenthood Association of Utah, guaranteeing that the funding will continue while the litigation proceeds.
The Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Act protects employees from being fired for their choices to use birth control, have a baby, or obtain an abortion.
Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams said prosecutors failed to prove the elements of the crimes and wanted him to rely on "presumptions or assumptions.”