How to Submit an Invoice to Rewire
Thanks for contributing to Rewire! The following information will help guide you in submitting your invoice, which is required for you to receive payment for your work. Make sure that you have also submitted your signed contract and W-9 form, as applicable.
Deadline & Invoice Period
The monthly invoice deadline is the 5th of each month for all work received and accepted by Rewire through the end of the previous month (e.g., invoices are due on June 5th for any work submitted May 1st through 31st).
Rewire uses Expensify to receive, review, approve, and pay consultant invoices. Please note that Expensify is a system created for expense reports and you will see references to “expense reports” when you use the system; however, the basic functionality works to automate our consultant invoicing needs.
You will receive an email from Expensify inviting you to the system. Click on the link in the email to log in and set up your account. Note: Make sure to sign up for Expensify via this link and using the email address that you provided to Rewire. If you sign up by going directly to Expensify and using a different email address, we won’t receive your invoices, as they must be submitted from the email address we have for you in the system.
Adding a Reimbursement Account
Invoices are paid via direct deposit to your bank account. Follow the steps below to enter your account information in Expensify.
1. Click on the blue icon in the upper right corner.
2. A popup window will open. Click on “Personal Settings.”
3. In the menu on the left side of the screen, click on “Reimbursement.”
4. In the “Bank Accounts for Reimbursement” section, click on “Add Deposit Account.” Note: Do not use the “PayPal Reimbursement Accounts” section, as our payment process is not compatible with PayPal.
5. The “Add Deposit Account” window opens.
If your bank is one of those listed on the screen, you can click on its logo to import your account information, but you will be required to log in with your online banking information and possibly follow other online banking security protocols that may result in a longer setup process. If you choose to use this method, follow the instructions on the screen, and then skip to Step #7.
If your bank isn’t listed or if you prefer not to use the above method, click on “Other US bank.”
6. Select the Type of account from the drop-down menu (either Checking or Savings), and enter your Routing Number, Account Number, First Name and Last Name. Then click on “Save & Continue.”
7. This window will close and return you to the Reimbursement screen where you should now see your account listed.
If you used the “Other US bank” option, the Account Name field will display your name as shown in the example below, and the process is complete.
If you used the option to import your account information by clicking your bank’s logo, the Account Name field will display your bank’s name for that type of checking account, as shown in the example below. Click in the Account Name field to change the name to your name, as shown in the previous example above.
You only have to complete this process once, and your information will be in the system for any future invoices.
Expensify Help topics:
Submitting an Invoice
Follow the steps below to create an invoice, ensuring that it is in line with your contract.
1. In Expensify, click on “Reports” in the top menu bar.
2. Click on “New Report.”
3. A new expense report screen opens. The “expense report” is your invoice. Make sure that the “Report Policy” field shows “Rewire Consultant Invoice Policy.”
4. The default title of your invoice is “New Expense Report.” Click in the title field and erase the “New Expense Report” text. Enter a new title with your name and the month your work was submitted in – e.g., “John Smith April 2017.” To save the new title, click anywhere on the screen outside of the title field.
5. Click on the plus sign in the menu to the right to add “expenses.” Each article or other work you submitted is considered an “expense” in the system.
6. The “Add Expenses to Report” window opens. Click on “New Expense.”
7. The “New Expense” window opens.
8. In the “Merchant” field, type the name of your article or other work you submitted.
Note: Don’t include special characters such as # * & / in the Merchant or Comment fields, as this creates an error with downloading reports into our accounting system.
9. The “Date” field defaults to the current date. It should be changed to the date that you submitted your article or other work, e.g, if the current date is April 12th and you submitted your work on April 6th, change the date to April 6th. Click on the calendar icon to open the calendar and change the date.
10. In the “Total” field, enter the compensation agreed to for that article or other work.
11. Leave the remaining fields as the default options:
- “Reimbursable” is checked
- “Billable” is not checked
- “Category” and “Tag” are blank.
- “Comment” is an optional field for you to complete only if there is anything additional you need to convey (e.g., if a reduced payment is being made due to a kill fee invoked or incomplete work).
Note: There is no need to submit “receipts” or any additional attachments.
Click on “Save.”
12. This will return you to the main invoice screen.
13. If you’ve submitted more than one article or other work this month, return to step #5 and repeat the steps again to add additional entries. Multiple articles or other work can be submitted on the same invoice; there’s no need to create a separate invoice for each. Each will be listed as a separate line on your invoice, with a collective total for all work submitted.
14. When you’ve finished adding articles or other work, click on “Submit.”
This opens a popup window. Note: Don’t change the default email address in the “To” field on this window. If you would like to copy someone, enter that person’s email address in the “CC” field, or click in the “Send me a copy” check box to copy yourself.
15. Click on “Submit” at the bottom of the popup window.
16. This returns you to the main invoice screen. The blue status button now changes from “Open” to “Processing.” This is how you can verify that your invoice was successfully submitted.
This completes the process of submitting your invoice.
Invoices are reviewed as a batch once a month, following the monthly deadline on the 5th. If you submit your invoice early, you may get notifications from Expensify that it needs to be approved; you can ignore those and assume it will be approved following the next invoice deadline. You will also receive notifications when the invoice has been approved and when payment has been submitted for processing. If there are any questions about your invoice, someone will contact you via the email address that you provided to Rewire.
Expensify Help topics:
Following the monthly invoice deadline, processing generally takes 1-2 weeks, though timing may vary. This includes review, approval and payment. Once the system notifies you that the invoice has been paid, it may take 4-5 business days for the funds to actually appear in your account. Payments will be made via ACH.
Additional Resources & Contacts
Questions related to the Expensify system: email@example.com
Questions related to Rewire invoice policy and process, or if you haven’t received your Expensify email invitation: firstname.lastname@example.org