This article is adopted with permission from NYC Unrated and Unfiltered.
Happy 2011! Hopefully you had a great New Year’s, and aren’t too concerned about those crazy predictions that the world will end in 2012 (though, now that Boehner has taken over as the Speaker of the House, who knows).
We’ve set a few of our own resolutions here at PPNYC — help make sure everyone has affordable access to birth control and reproductive health care; ensure the New York City Council passes legislation to regulate Crisis Pregnancy Centers; continue to provide quality health care services to as many people as we can regardless of their income level.
But we thought some of you might need help with yours. So, below, here are 8 great resolutions for the new year:
Appreciate our work?
Rewire is a non-profit independent media publication. Your tax-deductible contribution helps support our research, reporting, and analysis.
- Help make sure NYC regulates so-called “Crisis Pregnancy Centers” The City Council has introduced legislation, and we’ve testified at the hearing. But there is still so much you can do to help make sure that Crisis Pregnancy Centers are regulated!
- Schedule your annual GYN exam! Annual checkups are important — especially when it comes to GYN care. Getting an annual exam and pap smear can help prevent cancer, and make sure you stay healthy.
- Go get STD tested (and do it often!) Did you know that one in two sexually active young people will contract an STD by age 25 — and most won’t even know it? Getting tested ensures you know your status, and can help make sure you get the care you need.
- Make this the year you finally find a birth control method that works for you! Not all birth control methods are right for everyone. Luckily there are a number of options out there. The trick is just finding the one that works for you. So make an appointment with your provider, and make sure you’re using a birth control method that works for your body and your lifestyle.
- Help make sure sex education is taught in schools. Did you know that New York City still doesn’t require sex education as a part of the school curriculum? It’s time we changed that — get involved with our We’re Going to The Principal’s Office campaign and make sure kids are getting the education they need to stay healthy and safe.
- Finally sit down and have “the talk” with your kids. Studies show that parents can actually be the most influential when it comes to making decisions about sex and sexuality. A lot of us can put off having “The Talk” with our kids because it’s uncomfortable or we’re nervous, but there’s no reason to be! It’s easier than you think, and in the end, will help your kid stay safe and make healthy decisions.
- Make this the year you get involved in PPNYC’s Activist Council! Our activist council helps us get out the vote during elections, put on benefit concerts and events, pass sex ed legislation and a whole host of other amazing activities. Get involved, meet activists, and help make a difference!
- Or, just get involved with PPNYC. Even if you don’t have the time to dedicate to the Activist Council, there are so many ways to make a difference. Volunteer, or sign up for action alerts. Any little bit helps.
Have other great ideas? Let us know!