Homophobia is alive and well in Iowa. Three of the judges who determined that banning gay marriage in the state was unconstitutional were ousted by voters yesterday. In Iowa, judges are appointed, then need to be retained by voters. This is the first time judges have been removed since Iowa started the retention system in 1962.
And who funded the ouster? Surprise, surprise:
Led by Mississippi-based American Family Association, the effort was aided by groups such as Washington, D.C.-based Family Research Council, Arizona-based Alliance Defense Fund, Georgia-based Faith & Freedom Coalition and New Jersey-based National Organization for Marriage.
The organizations spent more than $1 million to oust the judges, with the campaign culminating in a 20-city bus tour across Iowa urging voters to kick the judges off the bench. Local leaders of the effort said rejecting the judges would set the stage for the fight over gay marriage and gay rights in Iowa and across the country.
Get the facts, direct to your inbox.
Subscribe to our daily or weekly digest.
And how much did the judges spend? Oh, zero million?
The judges chose not to raise money and campaign. But a group of former governors, lawyers and judges formed as Fair Courts For Us to support them, saying Iowa’s independent judiciary was at risk if a one-issue campaign succeeded in removing the justices.
Look out, judges in Iowa who stand for the equal protection of all citizens! You could be the next target.
In other gay marriage election news, San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom was elected lieutenant governor of California. Does this mean voters in California feel differently on gay marriage than they did when the passed Proposition 8?
Newsom became a lightening rod for criticism in recent years during the state’s high-profile debates over same-sex marriage. Newsom angered gay-marriage opponents when he began issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples at San Francisco City Hall in 2004. That led to several court battles and culminated in 2008’s Proposition 8, which amended the state constitution to ban same-sex unions.
Mini-Roundup: On a lighter note, musicians in North Carolina are raising money for an informative web site on sexuality education. What could be better than a sex ed jamboree?!
- Republican newcomer claims Stupak’s seat – Detroit Free Press
- UAE ‘makes significant progress’ on maternal mortality – International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Birth control battle: Bloggers on whether health care reform should include … – The Star-Ledger – NJ.com (blog)
- Poll: Voter anger at govt aids Blunt win in Mo. – KOAM-TV
- Probe called over abortion policy – Telegraph-Journal
- Boxer victory has special meaning for CSULB students – Daily 49er
- Gavin Newsom elected California lieutenant governor – Los Angeles Times
- Republican newcomer claims Stupak’s seat in 3-way race – Detroit Free Press
- ELECTION DAY PANEL: Where did social issues fall in these mid-terms? Were they … – Care2.com (blog)
- Defeated Ellsworth was one election target of abortion opponents – The Hill (blog)
- Got tested? Being inspi(RED) – The Daily Tar Heel
- Vaginal rings study receives USD5 m grant – Africa Science News Service
- Aboutorabi: Liberal feminism isn’ta given – Yale Daily News
- Three states to cast ballots on health insurance mandate; Others consider … – Biomed Middle East
- An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Repeal – Huffington Post (blog)
- CEDAW: Uganda denies human rights violations faced by LGBT and disabled women – ReliefWeb (press release)
- Colorado voters reject anti-abortion measure – Washington Post
- HOUSE: Republicans Recapture Control – NPR
- Gubernatorial Wins Give Pro-Life Advocates Chance to Cut Abortions Further – LifeNews.com
- Brown Defeats Whitman – Advocate.com
- Pro-Life Democrats Continue to Falter – ChristianityToday.com (blog)
- Free contraceptives may be a part of health care reform; fight underway – Catholic Online
- Palin’s ‘Mama Grizzly’ governors win – msnbc.com
- Stupak’s Seat Goes Republican – The Weekly Standard (blog)
- Pope fights gay marriage, abortion in Spain – Sin Chew Jit Poh
- 112th Congress: Kelly Ayotte, RN.H. (Senate) – CQPolitics.com
- In North Carolina Senate, GOP Conservative Richard Burr Wins Re-Election – Politics Daily
- Author believes girls need support, straight talk for good body image – Daily Comet
- Queens for a day – Mountain Xpress
- Is Adam Levin the new David Foster Wallace? – Salon
- Abbott earns honor for HIV test – Chicago Sun-Times
- Call for pre-abortion counselling – The Press Association
- Jamboree to raise money for sex ed – California Chronicle
- HIV: Not a punishment, not justice, just a disease – U.S. Catholic magazine (blog)
- Oral Sex Leads To Intercourse Among Teens, Study Somehow Discovers – Houston Press (blog)
- Birth Control — Necessity or Choice? It’s Being Decided at the Polls Today – Lemondrop
- The neglected epidemic of domestic violence – Gulf Times
- How I Voted – Slate Magazine (blog)
- Abortion policy to be reviewed in NB – CBC.ca
- When Women Don’t Vote, Extremists Win – Huffington Post (blog)
- Birth Control Gel Shows Promise In Early Trials – RTT News
- Mobile Technology Reduces Diagnosis Time for HIV-Infected Infants – ThirdAge
- Keys to the House – World Magazine
- Women share stories of how HIV/AIDS affects their lives – Banff Crag & Canyon
- Mother-baby packs to reduce HIV transmission in Kenya – Business Daily Africa
- Montana, New Jersey Cut Funds for Family Planning – Ms. Magazine
- African women discuss AIDS pandemic – BCLocalNews
- Firefighter’s HIV-related death occurred in the line of duty – Seattle Post Intelligencer
- Wisconsin family planning program expands – Superior Telegram
- South African Pastor Under Fire For Claiming That Jesus Had HIV – Hip-Hop Wired
- State to drop 350 patients in HIV/AIDS drug program – Sun-Sentinel
- Maternal Health Is Key to Beating Poverty: Experts – Jakarta Globe
- Why The HIV/AIDS Community Should Care About the New Medicare Panel – Huffington Post (blog)
- 2010: The Year of Talking About Women and Elections – Huffington Post (blog)
- Angry Woman Punches Hole in Glass Wall For Cervical Cancer – Adrants
- The Professional Left, In The End, Didn’t Take Its Ball And Go Home – Huffington Post
- Women neglect long-term care planning – News-Medical.net
- Health Care Reform – Should Birth Control Pills For Women Be On It – America’s News Online