It's your last chance! Let the Rewire team help you stock up on reproductive rights-friendly gifts. Read on for the books and DVDs that have a lot to teach you about reproductive health, and for the organizations that could use your support this holiday season.
- Pregnancy and Power: A Short History of Reproductive Politics in America, by Rickie Sollinger. A smart, incisive, historical overview of the social, political, racial, and economic forces that shape reproductive politics in the United States.
- Reproductive Rights in a Global Context: South Africa, Uganda, Peru, Denmark, the United States, Vietnam, Jordan, by Lara M. Knudsen. Based on the voices of over 90 women's rights activists, health professionals, NGO workers, and government officials in seven countries, Reproductive Rights in a Global Context explores women's experiences in light of the international forces that shape their decisions.
- Citizen Ruth. Alexander Payne's smart satire of reproductive politics spares no one.
- I was a Teenage Feminist. Filmmaker Therese Shechter explores why some young women are reluctant to identify as feminists, telling her own story in the process.
- The Cider House Rules. A 1999 film adaptation of John Irving's novel, which deals honestly with the realities of unsafe abortion. Featuring a tender young Tobey Maguire.
Appreciate our work?
Vote now! And help Rewire earn a bigger grant from CREDO:
- Sistas on the Rise is a youth-founded, youth-led organization that allows young mothers and women of color to raise consciousness, build sisterhood, and take action for social change. Based in the South Bronx, SOTR organizes workshops, activities, and trips that develop leadership skills and teach young women to be critical and active members of the community. Donation information here (send a check payable to "Sistas on the Rise" to Sistas On The Rise; P.O. Box 740581; Bronx, New York 10474).
- Women on Waves is a Dutch non-profit organization that works internationally to prevent unwanted pregnancy and unsafe abortions by raising awareness and ensuring access to safe abortions in countries where abortion is highly restricted. Donate here.
- Located in Brooklyn, Sista II Sista is a community-based organization of working-class young and adult Black and Latina women dedicated to promoting social and economic justice for young women of color through education, organizing, outreach. Donate here.
Have a wonderful holiday season!
Check out all of Rewire's 2007 gift guides here.