Amar Mergensana continued his strike after other detained people ended their protest, telling advocates he would continue to starve himself until "he either died or was released."
- Hate Group Figures Are Coming to Philadelphia’s Pro-Police Rally
- Leading Health Group: Killings by Police Are a Public Health Issue
- Advocacy Groups Reveal ‘Groundbreaking’ Progressive Vision for Reproductive Justice Future
- 19 Black Women Judges Swept to Victory in Texas. Here’s Why It Matters.
- On Hunger Strike, Immigrant in ICE Custody Is Hospitalized (Corrected)
- Trump’s HHS Reverses Course on Including Hormonal Birth Control in Title X Grants (Updated)
Explore Our Topics
ICE is holding journalist Manuel Duran after he was arrested while covering a protest in April. His deportation was imminent until the court granted him a stay on Thursday.
New recommendations issued by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force advise health-care providers to screen patients for intimate partner violence, and to refer them to counseling and support services.
There’s little doubt Josh Hawley, who has worked for years to undermine abortion rights, will push his anti-choice views in the U.S. Senate.