“It’s never been that Black people don’t want to take care of themselves; it’s about not being able to afford to."
- For Black Undocumented Immigrants, Cost May Be Major Barrier to Maternal Care
- Bank of America Is Now the Only Big Bank ‘Profiting From Family Separation’
- What Bernie Sanders Gets Wrong About Open Borders
- Exclusive: Immigration Agencies Communicated Prior to Arrest of Sanctuary Leader
- Kirstjen Nielsen’s Legacy: Terrorizing Asylum-Seeking Children and Families
- Despite Sanctuary Law, California Cops ‘Bend Over Backwards’ to Work With ICE
Rewire.News compiled some of the most inhumane administrative actions both defended and executed by Nielsen while serving in her role as secretary of DHS.
Even as California lawmakers try to protect undocumented people against the president's draconian anti-immigrant policies, state law enforcement officials are striving to be "politically aligned with Trump and ICE."
Documents obtained by Rewire.News through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request show that immigration enforcement officials reached out to the federal agency tasked with naturalizations and immigration services to confirm an appointment with a sanctuary leader prior to taking him into custody at the agency's field office.
“The fear and the panic is palpable for people who are in danger of losing their power, losing their water, losing other utilities” due to unpaid fines tacked onto their bills by the city, said one attorney with the Southern Center for Human Rights.
Viability has been a legal bright line in judging abortion restrictions. Will it stay that way?