A Missouri Republican who came to the defense of Representative Todd Akin told the The New York Times last week that, while “abortion is never an option…. If God has chosen to bless this person [the rape victim] with a life, you don’t kill it.”
Sharon Barnes, who according to the Missouri Examiner is a “high ranking state Republican [who] came to the defense of her conservative colleague [Akin], who she believes only “phrased it (his statement) badly.”
Apparently, very badly, since Todd Akin claimed that women who were “legitimately raped” don’t get pregnant, because their bodies “shut that thing down,” and Barnes believes God is delivering a blessing to women who have been violated by rape.
According to the Examiner, Barnes did not elaborate on her views for post-pregnancy care, or costs.
Appreciate our work?
Vote now! And help Rewire earn a bigger grant from CREDO:
Barnes is no stranger to politics, and has been active for years. The Examiner lists the following titles according to her Linkedin profile:
- President of The 2nd Congressional District Republican Women
- President of The Republican Women’s Club of St. Louis
- Vice President, Membership Committee at National Federation Of Republican Women
- Vice President of The Missouri Federation of Republican Women
- Chairman of The St. Louis City Republican Central Committee
- State Committeewoman, 4th Senate District at Missouri Republican Party
- Committeewoman, 24th Ward at Missouri Republican Party
- Volunteer at GOP Missouri Republican Party
Of course, once again, a politician associated with the fanatical anti-choice, anti-woman movement has no qualms about re-victimizing a woman violated by rape that she has no choices, rights, or agency.