A right-wing columnist and radio show host, Bob Siegel, recently published a column responding to someone who wrote to him to say that abortion should remain legal. Siegel took that opportunity to characterize women as flippant, child-like, and without moral agency.
Of his many offensive points, he starts off with an anti-choice favorite: the one where a woman just decides, randomly, out of the blue, that she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore.
If a guy marries in good faith, agreeing with his wife that they are going to have children together; if his wife then becomes pregnant, only to later change her mind, does he have any say whatsoever? Is a man’s right to raise offspring forever under the jurisdiction of his mate simply because he isn’t carrying their baby in his own body? Think about this! They decide together to have a baby. She changes her mind. She now wants an abortion. Dad may honestly believe his own child is about to be literally killed! Doesn’t matter!
In that scenario, a couple plans to have a baby, then the woman, on a whim, decides to have an abortion. Honestly, I’m shocked he didn’t mention that she decided to terminate the pregnancy because she was worried about how she’d look in a bikini.
Like This Story?
Your $10 tax-deductible contribution helps support our research, reporting, and analysis.
And another, equally sexist point:
In all fairness, many women, when they have an abortion, do not think of it as murder. In our zeal to call actions what they truly are, let us refrain from harsh accusations. Certainly doctors who perform abortions realize just exactly what they are doing, but young, frightened women, led to believe (for whatever reasons) that abortion is simply another form of birth control, are not cold blooded killers, neither should they be labeled as such.
Ah, yes. Women are clearly too infantile and delicate to have a clear understanding what ending a pregnancy really means.
Good thing we womenfolk have a strong moral compass like Bob Siegel to tell us what to do, because we surely couldn’t make it in this cold, mean world without him.
Speaking of moral compasses – or not, for that matter – the Pope’s choice of archbishop for Belgium, Andre Leonard, is creating controversy in that country for his radical views. His spokesman resigned last week, because “he could no longer morally defend Leonard.” What’s so bad about him? Well:
He calls AIDS a form of “justice” for homosexuals and wants retired pedophile priests to go unpunished. He says women who have an abortion will be greeted in the afterlife by their unborn child crying “Momma!”
How are people in Belgium reacting? With antagonistic pastries:
Last week, a man ran up to the archbishop during a service at Brussels’ main cathedral and shoved a cherry pie in his face.
Mini-Roundup: A grad student at the University of Georgia has set the HIV DNA code to music. She set it in A-minor, because of how amino acids are attracted to water. Or something like that. It’s really interesting, have a listen!
- Another Year Could Bring License-Plate Battles – Sun Gazette
- Man in Ohio accused of damaging church’s anti-abortion display, police say he … – Fox 59
- Study: Most Teenage Girls Skip HPV Vaccine – WGCL Atlanta
- Conservative Belgian archbishop in eye of storm – The Associated Press
- Calling all cancer advocates! Rally in Annapolis! – Examiner.com
- Neb. abortion doc plans clinics in 3 more states – Chicago Tribune
- Leeds mother calls for lower cancer screening age – BBC News
- Column: Title V has been improving health of Ohio’s women, children for 75 years – Zanesville Times Recorder
- Even after 8 decades, old arguments about family planning persist – Minnesota Public Radio
- Shock Bay teenage pregnancy rates – Weekend Post
- RH advocates back websites on sex ed for teens – GMANews.TV
- NJ Dems Continue Efforts To Restore Family Planning Funding, Expand Access To … – Medical News Today (press release)
- Aging Population May Bring Changes to Family Planning Policy – CRIENGLISH.com
- Birth control gels well – iAfrica.com
- Risky sex linked to weight – Yale Daily News
- Cervical cancer scandal: tests ‘misread’ – Channel 4 News
- Death of Jade Goody from cervical cancer credited with brief increase in smear … – Telegraph.co.uk
- Aquino to meet bishops anew on birth control – Manila Standard Today
- Good, clean fun in the bedroom: Condoms, safe words, consensual, adventure, spice – Eagle News
- LGBT issues at UW – UW Badger Herald
- Are men not allowed to offer opinions about abortion? – Washington Times
- A Tea Party without the tea – ABC Online
- “Wanted” Poster Distributor Gets Probation for Stalking Abortion Doctors – Care2.com (blog)
- ILO: Employers must help with HIV awareness – Trinidad & Tobago Express
- Clue to How Some “Control” Their HIV Without Medication – TheBody.com
- Benedictine Nuns Thriving in New Evangelization – Catholic Online
- Coalition aims to reduce teen pregnancy – KRTV Great Falls News
- I didn’t want 4 abortions but I really could not afford to be a mum – The Sun
- Sandy Pappas: How policy set here affects lives over there – Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Youth speak out on homophobia – SX News (blog)
- Today’s Lady News: Aussies Won’t Let Lesbian Teen Take Her GF To School Dance – The Frisky
- Study: Teen Girls More Likely to Have Risky Sex Than Teen Boys – TIME
- Anti-Abortion Activist Is Convicted Of Stalking – NPR (blog)
- Condom avoidance not a motivation for circumcision among blacks and coloured … – Aidsmap
- The great corrective . . . – The Citizen.com (blog)
- Abortion opponents pick up seats in Mass. House – Boston Herald
- Reap What Ye Sow – Huffington Post (blog)
- George W. Bush and the Fetus Tale: Revealing, Repelling, Or Commonplace? – Politics Daily
- Experts meet to discuss effect of HIV on agriculture – Daily Monitor
- 'Dead foetus' shown by mother turned Bush against abortion – Daily News & Analysis
- Research points to infections as cause of cancer – ABC Online
- Don’t pay maternity fees, urges minister – Daily Nation (blog)
- UK Youths Have Some Kooky Notions About Love – YourTango
- Affordable healthcare act may include birth control under preventative care – SMC Collegian
- New York Times Examines HIV Prevention Products Undergoing Clinical Trials – TheBody.com
- Philly Democrats Sunk Joe Sestak – Philadelphia Magazine (blog)
- NC pastor convicted of stalking abortion providers – WRAL.com
- HIV/AIDS Activists To Protest, Get Arrested Any Minute Now » – New York Daily News (blog)
- Grad Student Uses HIV DNA to Record Album – Paste Magazine
- Protecting women and girls in Colombia – SOS Children
- Women just need their dignity respected – Daily Nation
- Public hospitals ordered to free mothers – Capital FM
- Study may hold key to why some with HIV don’t get AIDS – healthzone.ca
- Pence for President? If God Says So… – Care2.com (blog)
- Ghana’s Maternal Mortality Rate reduces – Ghana Broadcasting Corporation
- What are the next steps for breastfeeding in Northern Ireland? – HealthCanal.com
- Media Promote Pro-Abortion View Covering Popular Twitter Topic – NewsBusters (blog)
- Local women’s organization push safer sex in the city – Examiner.com