What do you know about Focus on the Family?
Here are some facts:
- Founded in 1977 by James C. Dobson to “cooperate with the Holy Spirit in disseminating the Gospel of Jesus Christ to as many people as possible, and, specifically, to accomplish that objective by helping to preserve traditional values and the institution of the family.” Dobson is chairman emeritus of the Focus on the Family Board of Directors.
Get the facts, direct to your inbox.
Want more Rewire.News? Get the facts, direct to your inbox.
- Annual Income in Fiscal Year 2007 — $145,194,701
- Current Leadership: Jim Daly, president and CEO. Daly was handpicked by Dobson to be president of the organization after Daly had a number of roles in the organization, including assistant to the president, vice president, and chief operating officer.
- Focus on the Family opposes:
- comprehensive, medically accurate sex education
- stem cell research
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- Planned Parenthood and International Planned Parenthood Federation
FoF therefore works to:
- ban abortion.
- promote abstinence-only-until-marriage.
- promote funding for abstinence-only programs.
- pass "defense of marriage" legislation and fight anti-discrimination efforts against gay, lesbian, and transgender persons.
- promote school prayer in public schools.
How Does FoF Work?
- at the local level through "community impact committees" and local religious leaders to coordinate "pro-family" efforts.
- supporting "crisis pregnancy centers" which disseminate misinformation about contraception, pregnancy, and abortion.
- internationally through offices in 11 countries; radio programs broadcast in 155 countries and publications translated into 27 languages.
- "lobbying ministries:" dozens of programs, projects and outreach efforts including 11 television and radio programs and the broadcast of Dobson’s daily radio programs in 155 countries.
- publications with a circulation of more than 2.3 million per month, for adults, teens, and children.