We're back with the second installment of Rewire's holiday gift guide!
Want to spread the reproductive health love this holiday season? Below, find organizations, books, and movies that make reproductive justice their mission.
Appreciate our work?
Vote now! And help Rewire earn a bigger grant from CREDO:
- Women of Color and the Reproductive Rights Movement, by Jennifer Nelson. Nelson tells the story of the feminist struggle for legal abortion and reproductive rights in the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s through the particular contributions of women of color.
- Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters, by Jessica Valenti of Feministing. A funny, smart, down-to-earth crash course on feminism for your favorite young women.
- The Education of Shelby Knox. Set in Texas, this documentary follows a teen activist for comprehensive sexuality education as she struggles to reconcile her changing political views with her faith, family, and community. Worth it all for her heart-to-heart with her local pastor and abstinence advocate (Actual quote: "Well, Christianity isn't exactly a tolerant religion.")
- From Danger to Dignity. This documentary highlights the networks of clergymen, feminists, and health care providers who were committed to ensuring women's access to safe abortion before Roe v. Wade.
- Our Song. This coming-of-age story set in Crown Heights, Brooklyn follows three teenage girls as their paths diverge one summer. Killer marching band footage.
- National Advocates for Pregnant Women seeks to protect the rights and human dignity of all women, particularly pregnant and parenting women and those who are most vulnerable, through litigation, litigation support and legal advocacy; local and national organizing; public policy development, and public education and outreach. Donate here.
- SisterLove is the first and oldest community-based non-profit in Georgia to focus specifically upon the needs of women, particularly African American women and those of African descent, who are at risk for contracting HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases and infections. SisterLove does health education and advocacy, offers mentoring and leadership training, and provides housing and support services. Donate here.
- The National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF) is an affiliation of over 100 community-based abortion funds throughout the United States that ensure low-income women's access to safe, legal abortion services at the community level. NNAF also engages in national advocacy linking economic justice and reproductive rights. Donate here.
Check out the first installment of the Rewire Gift Guide here!